Curiosity has often been associated with a quirky expression some of you may know: “curiosity killed the cat”. Although that could be true for the poor kitty, for our team at Design Thinking it fuels high levels of creativity. In fact, curiosity has been found to be just as important as intelligence in order to succeed and navigate our increasingly complex world.
The world’s biggest innovators are passionately curious about the world around them and this attitude is often characterized by thinking in childlike terms while constantly seeking out more and more information. By approaching problems with an open, childlike mind, unconfined by rigidity or preconceived notions, you can unleash your most creative self.
Here are five ways you can nurture a curious attitude to help your creative juices flow:
- Considering what you do know about the topic is not nearly enough, and drawing on the knowledge and insights of others to close the information gap. It’s important to always evolve and understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. The good news is you can learn from each other and evolve together. Knowledge is never-ending.
- Putting collaboration before competition, and autonomous motivation before rewards. It’s a wonderful thing to work together to bring out the best in each other. Design Thinking has always been proud to work collectively to ensure our creativity is never hindered.
- Never be afraid to ask questions. This goes hand-in-hand with being a good listener while you’re asking those questions. It’s human nature to not always be 100 per cent present when someone else is speaking. It’s hard to turn off all the thoughts going through your head. To be more creative, it would be a good idea to ask any and every question and to listen tentatively when you get your responses.
- Read constantly to expand and deepen your expertise. But also read deeply, ditch those distractions and increase your concentration. Consuming content outside your comfort zone will help expose you to new things and fuel your curiosity.
- Approach places, events, things, people and ideas with a sense of discovery and look at everything through tourist eyes. This will open your mind and allow you to appreciate the magical, unexplained phenomena of the world around us.
Now that you know how important curiosity is to creativity, how will you pivot to be more creative? Need help getting those creative juices flowing? Drop us a line.