Curiosity has often been associated with an expression you’re probably familiar with, “curiosity killed the cat.” Although that might be true for the poor kitty, here at Design Thinking curiosity generates high levels of creativity and innovation allowing us to design remarkable marketing campaigns. In fact, curiosity has been psychology proven to be just as important as intelligence in order to succeed in and navigate our increasingly complex and fast-paced world.
The world’s biggest innovators are passionately curious about the world around them. Their attitude is often characterized by thinking in childlike terms while continually seeking out more and more information about the world around them. By approaching problems with an open, childlike mind and letting go of any preconceived notions, you can unleash your most creative self and ideas.
Here are five ways you can nurture a curious attitude in your everyday life to help your creative juices flow:
1. Only considering what you know about a particular topic isn’t enough. It’s important to make the most of the knowledge and perspectives of others to build upon your own.
It’s important to always evolve and understand that everyone has strengths and weaknesses. The good news is you can learn from each other and evolve together. Knowledge and growth are never-ending.
2. Collaboration comes before competition, always. It’s a wonderful thing to work together to bring out the best in each other. Design Thinking has always been proud to work collectively to ensure our creativity is never hindered.
3. Never be afraid to ask questions, and always be a good listener while asking those questions. It’s human nature to not be 100% present when someone else is speaking, especially when you have lots of thoughts and ideas running through your head. To be more creative, make the most of the questions you ask by listening attentively as someone shares their response.
4. Read constantly to expand your knowledge and deepen your expertise. Don’t just read a large amount of content, make sure to read deeply and eliminate distractions so you’re truly focused.
While you want to read for depth and understanding, it’s also important to choose a breadth of content and knowledge. Consuming content outside of your comfort zone and area of expertise will expose you to new ideas and ways of doing things to help further fuel your curiosity.
5. Approach everything with a sense of discovery and through a tourist’s eyes. View things as if you’re seeing them for the first time, and ask questions you might not ask on an everyday basis. This will open your mind and help you appreciate and understand the magic of the world we live in.
Now that you know how important curiosity is to creativity, how will you pivot to be more creative? Need help getting those creative juices flowing? Drop us a line.